Sunday, September 9, 2007

Statewide learning.

Hollysnow goes statewide!

As a fat cat I am almost as wide as the state. But to me the state of the food supply is much more important. As for learning...whaaaat? I watch TV, I read the papers. Actually I sleep in front of the TV and eat dinner off the paper but my life is fairly simple.
The people in my life, however, are struggling with cyber space and its tools.
One refuses to know, one has to know but won't, the other has an obligation to know and appears to be trying., but only if it's fun.
The rate of chance in cyber world is astronomical and rapid. Watching Dr Who is almost like watching a documentary. (Where can I get a sonic screwdriver? I've tried ebay and grays on line. thought it might be useful for getting the damned lids of the Whiskas)
Okay Holly shif over its my turn.

20 years ago I worked for Australia Post. We still had the old fashioned telegraph machines. A short message was typed then transmitted. We had Faxes, whoo hoo!
Then e-mail...mot like now but true mail. The meassage was transmitted from one postal point to another then delivered, by courier, to its destination.
We could talk in real time, via a keyboard, to to other post office employees anywhere in Australia!
Soon after I found myself in state head office, away from the post office. We were leading the way. Many people now had personal computers, they were all mainframed through the computer on the 4th floor (yes, the whole floor) Middle management had access to the fax machine.

Then the unthinkable. Our workplace was violated by a very disturbed man who shot 13 people in the building. The police didn't know he was inside and as people tried to leave they were sent back into 191 Queen Street. The canyons and tunnels of Melbourne caused the police communications to fail. They didn't know what was happening and neither did we.
The brave staff from across the road came to the rescue and technology probably save even more people from a horrible fate. MOBILE PHONES were given to the police so they could keep in touch. Thank goodness that Telecom was directly opposite and they had the knowledge and sense to impelement the new technology.
We had all seen mobile phones...Lawyers on William Street used them, but that was all.

Within a few years we all had our own mobile phones and not just pcs on our desk at work but at home too. The mainframes disappeared and small boxes, routers, were in common use.

Now you want me to store my photos, my personal files, my address book in space.
I can get my head around lots of stuff but, maybe I am getting old, and maybe a bit cynical about what Big Brother is going to look at, this is a hard concept for me to really grasp properly, but for the sake of my customers and my children, and keeping up with Dr Who, I'll have to learn and keep my mind open to change.
Women of my age , in past generations, didn't need to change, we just made jam!

1 comment:

Christine said...

Hello,

Is this Sue?

Your comment about Big Brother reminded me that I saw an article recently that said that potential employers have been known to scour sites such as Blogs sites and MySpace to try and glean information about someone they are considering employing. It quoted some instances where they turned up some rather embarrassing or damaging information that certainly put potential employers off! I think many people generally, and young people in particular, just do not get that Cyberspace is public space – anyone can read it and that poses certain risks, not least of all, the possibly providing a potential employer with information that you would rather they did not have! You try telling my teenagers that!

Cheerio,
Christine.